Lily the Red-Legged Frog needs your help getting back to the Richmond District!
She’s wandered far from home—all the way to the Brooklyn Bridge in New York City, 2,900 miles away. She has to get back to her pond in Golden Gate Park in time for summer camp, and she needs all the help she can get!
The Golden Gate Frog Hop is a community fitness challenge benefitting The Richmond Neighborhood Center. Using the MoveSpring app, participants will log their walking, running, hiking, biking, and any other exercise mileage from May 15-31, 2021 to reach a shared goal of 2,900 miles and bring Lily home!
All are welcome to join as individuals or put together a team. Whether you’re looking for camaraderie, friendly competition, or just an incentive to get moving after months of staying home, our mobile app will help you track your progress in a fun and interactive way. We invite you to connect with fellow participants, learn about what makes our neighborhood special, win prizes, and hear from our partners and sponsors!
Registration for this event opens April 19, 2021. Entries are $25 per participant. All proceeds benefit the Neighborhood Center’s youth and community programs.
Note: Registrants must be at least 18 years old, but if you have younger members in your family who would like to participate, you can sign up on their behalf and track their mileage manually through your device!
SPECIAL THANKS TO OUR SPONSORS!
Can I put together a team with my family, friends or colleagues?
Yes! When signing up for the race, please indicate that you’d like to be a team captain and let us know your team name.
How do i track my mileage?
We’ve partnered with a mobile app called MoveSpring to automatically track your mileage through your fitness tracker (like your Fitbit, Apple Watch, or Garmin tracker), smartphone, or manual entry if you prefer. After signing up for the challenge, you will be prompted to register for a MoveSpring account and download the app to your mobile device. You can also access your account through a browser on the computer.
In order for MoveSpring to detect your activities, you must sync with the app by opening it after completing your activities. We recommend doing this syncing step every 2-3 days during the challenge to keep the leaderboards current.
How do I “Win” the challenge?
The goal of this challenge is to reach a group total of 2,900 miles across all participants, collaboratively. However, there will be leaderboards throughout the challenge to get your competitive sweat flowing. During the challenge, we will also be rewarding leading teams and individuals with prizes.
How else can I help?
- Purchase a challenge T-shirt or other merchandise from The Richmond Neighborhood Center online shop.
- Contribute a gift card or prize from a local Richmond District business for our Frog Hop giveaways! Email email@example.com if you’d like to participate.
- On the weekends during the challenge period, hold a garage sale, bake sale, or lemonade stand and donate the proceeds to our organization. If you let us know the time and location, we will share details with our participants and community members!
- And lastly, we truly believe in the power of neighbors helping neighbors. Support local businesses, schools, and community-based organizations wherever you are.
ABOUT THE RICHMOND NEIGHBORHOOD CENTER
Every dollar raised by the Golden Gate Frog Hop directly supports the programs and staff who provide educational programming across 9 public schools, food for 800 neighbors through 3 weekly food pantries, grocery deliveries for 150 home-bound seniors, and community resources for local residents. More than 170 staff members and 100 volunteers make this work possible, and your dollars go to support our program participants as well as our staff.
Watch the video below to learn more:
Which schools do you Serve?
The Richmond Neighborhood Center offers programs at 9 Richmond District public schools:
- Alamo Elementary School
- Argonne Elementary School
- Lafayette Elementary School
- Frank McCoppin Elementary School
- George Peabody Elementary School
- Presidio Middle School
- Roosevelt Middle School
- Raoul Wallenberg High School
- George Washington High School